August Wilson Theater
The August Wilson Theatre has been known by many names. In 1925 The Theatre Guild built this house for its own productions and opened it under the name The Guild Theatre. In the 1950s it underwent an extensive renovation and was renamed the ANTA. In 1981 it was renamed The Virginia to honor Virginia M. Biger – co-owner of Jujamcyn Theaters.
In 2005 it took the name we know it by today – The August Wilson Theatre. It was so named to honor the late playwright August Wilson. This was the first time that a Broadway theater had been named after an African-American.
245 W 52nd St
New York, NY 10036