The Lunt-Fontanne Theatre was built in 1910 as The Globe, named after Shakespeare’s original theater. The venue featured a retractable roof to cool the patrons during summer months. This feature was eliminated in 1932, when the theater was converted into a movie house.
In 1958, the theater was named after husband/wife actors Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, who performed in the newly renovated theater’s first production, The Visit. During Titanic: The Musical’s run, the Theatre’s lobby was painted with all the names of those who were on the Titanic’s voyage.
205 W 46th St
New York, NY 10036