Today’s Lyric Theatre (formerly Foxwoods Theatre, Hilton Theater and Ford Center for the Performing Arts) was built on the site of the former Apollo and original Lyric Theatres in 1996. Originally built in 1903 as a home for the American School of Opera, the original Lyric theater served many purposes including movie theater, concert venue and vaudeville house.
The current Lyric Theater is one of the few New York theaters to have two formal entrances. Due to the landmark status of certain major architectural elements and structures, parts of the old theatres can still be seen from the front facade. These include the dome from the Lyric and the proscenium arch from the Apollo.
214 W 43rd St
New York, NY 10036