St. James Theatre
The St. James Theatre opened in 1927 as The Erlanger. Upon Erlanger’s death in 1930, control of the venue was taken over by the Astor family, who owned the land on which the theatre stood. The Astors renamed it the St. James Theatre.
The theatre was purchased by the Shuberts in the late 1930s who then sold it to William L. McKnight in 1957. McKnight renovated the St. James and reopened it in 1958. In 1970, McKnight then transferred the theatre to his daughter Virginia and her husband James H. Binger, who had formed Jujamcyn Theaters.
246 W 44th St
New York, NY 10036