Stephen Sondheim Theatre
The Stephen Sondheim Theatre (formerly the Henry Miller’s Theatre) originally opened in 1918. It had the distinction of being the first air-conditioned theatre in Manhattan. The theatre was sold to the Nederlanders in 1966 who then sold it to Seymour Durst in 1968. The theatre took on a variety of functions including movie theater, discotheque and nightclub. In 1998, it returned to theatrical performance use as the Kit Kat Club, borrowing its name from the revival of Cabaret that it was then housing. In 2001, it returned to the Henry Miller when Urinetown opened in 2001.
In 2004, the theater closed to make way for construction on the 57-story Bank of America Tower. Since the Henry Miller’s neo-Georgian façade was landmarked by the city, it was preserved and included in the new structure. With the upper stories of the Tower reserved for Bank of America, architects were forced to design and build the new theater underground. As a result, the Henry Miller’s Theatre was one of only two subterranean houses on Broadway.
The Henry Miller’s Theatre was purchased by the Roundabout Theater Company in 2007. It was reopened in September, 2009 and officially renamed the Stephen Sondheim Theatre on September 15, 2010.
124 W 43rd St
New York, NY 10036